This webpage sets out when and how we use your personal information that you or others provide to us. We only gather and process business to business information.
Who we are
We are Congenica, a limited company (registered with number 08273616).
Our registered address is Congenica, BIC Building, Wellcome Genome Campus, Cambridge CB10 1DR, United Kingdom
If you have any questions about this privacy notice, including any requests to exercise your legal rights, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
How do you use my data?
When you attend one of our training sessions
When you attend one of our training sessions, we will collect the following information from you: name, business address, email address, phone number, employer or academic institution. If you are already registered to attend an event, we will use the membership details we already hold on file for you to confirm your booking. We need to use your personal information in this way to complete the booking contract between us.
When you attend one of our drop-in sessions at industry events
When you attend one of our drop-in sessions (such as those we hold at conferences, symposia and exhibitions), we will collect the following information from you: name, business address, email address, phone number, employer or academic institution. If you are already a member and register to attend an event, we will use the membership details we already hold on file for you to confirm your booking.
The details we collect from you will include your name, business address, as well as your phone number and email address. We need to use your personal information in this way to complete the booking contract between us.
When you contact customer support
When you phone us or contact us by email with general or specific queries, we may also handle your personal information (your name, contact details and the other details you provide to us) in order to provide the customer services that you have asked us to. This could be when you ask us to provide more information about the Congencia platform, or explain how our software works.
We rely on your consent to handle your personal information in this way. If you do not provide us with the personal information we request from you for customer services purposes, we may not be able to fully answer your queries.
When you have expressed an interest in Congenica:
This section applies if you have opted in to receive marketing communications from us or have previously expressed an interest in Congenica and not opted out.
We will handle your personal information (such as your name, email address, business address, telephone number and sector preferences) to provide you with marketing communications in line with any preferences you have told us about.
When we send you marketing emails because you have opted-in to receive them, we rely on your consent to contact you for marketing purposes.
If you have not opted-in and we send you marketing emails, we do this because of our legitimate interest to promote the success of our product Congenica.
Every email we send to you for marketing purposes will also contain instructions on how to unsubscribe from receiving them.
You are not under any obligation to provide us with your personal data for marketing purposes.
You can tell us that you do not want your personal information to be processed in this way at any time by contacting us at email@example.com or, where relevant, by following the unsubscribe link shown in every marketing communication you receive from us.
If our business is sold:
We will transfer your personal information to a third party:
• if we sell or buy any business or assets, we will provide your personal information to the seller or buyer (but only to the extent we need to, and always in accordance with data protection legislation); or
• if Congenica limited or the majority of its assets are acquired by somebody else, in which case the personal information held by Congenica limited will be transferred to the buyer.
We process your personal information for this purpose because we have a legitimate interest to ensure our business can be continued by the buyer. If you object to our use of your personal information in this way, the relevant seller or buyer of our business may not be able to provide services to you.
In some circumstances we may also need to share your personal information if we are under a duty to disclose or share it to comply with a legal obligation.
What about technical information and analytics?
Information we collect about you: When you visit our site we will automatically collect the following information:
• technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the internet, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, screen resolution, operating system and platform; and
• information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators, clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time), page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs) and methods used to browse away from the page.
Information we receive from other sources: We are also working closely with third party networks, analytics providers, hosting providers and search information providers from whom we may also receive general aggregated anonymous information about you.
We will combine the information you provide to us with information we collect about you.
Where is My Data Stored?
Some of our external third parties are based outside the European Economic Area (EEA) so their processing of your personal information will involve a transfer of data outside of the EEA.
Whenever we transfer your personal information outside of the EEA, we ensure it is protected by making sure at least one of the following safeguards is in place:
- by transferring your personal information to a country that has been deemed to provide an adequate level of protection by the European Commission;
- by using specific contracts approved by the European Commission which give your personal information the same protection it has
- where we use providers based in the US, we may transfer data to them if they are part of the Privacy Shield which requires them to provide similar protection to personal data shared between Europe and the US.
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers or those of our third party data storage providers.
How long do we retain your data for?
We will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting or legal requirements
To determine the appropriate retention period for the personal information we hold, we consider the amount, nature and sensitivity of the personal information, the risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal information, the reasons why we handle your personal information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
In some circumstances we may anonymise your personal data so that it can no longer be associated with you for research or statistical purposes, in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
Your right to object under data protection laws
You have the right to object to us handling your personal information when:
• we are handling your personal information based on our legitimate interests (as described in the “How do you use my data” section above). If you ask us to stop handling your personal information in this way, we will stop unless we can show you that we have compelling grounds as to why our use of your personal information should continue; or
• for marketing purposes. If you ask us to stop handling your personal information on this basis, we will stop.
What are my rights under data protection laws?
You have various other rights under applicable data protection laws, including the right to:
• access your personal data (also known as a “subject access request”);
• correct incomplete or inaccurate data we hold about you;
• ask us to erase the personal data it holds about you;
• ask us to restrict its handling of your personal information;
• ask us to transfer your personal information to a third party;
• object to how we are using your personal information; and
• withdraw your consent to us handling your personal data.
Privacy law is often complicated, and whether these rights are available to you sometimes depends on the types of data we are handling about you. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You always have the right to lodge a complaint with us or the Information Commissioner’s Office, the supervisory authority for data protection issues in England and Wales.
What about websites we link to?
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks and affiliates.
Our site connects you to different websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites or use our services, please note that you have left our site and these websites have their own privacy policies.
We do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies or websites. Please check their policies before you submit any personal information to these websites.
How do I contact you with feedback