Data is a vital part of Congenica’s ambition to enable genomic medicine. The Data team is a new function within Congenica, tasked with supporting the whole company’s scientific data needs by building and maintaining cutting edge systems and maximising data availability. The Data Engineer will form a critical part of this cross disciplinary team, helping to shape the team and bringing technical expertise and best practices.
What you’ll be doing
In this exciting, new role you will design and deploy enterprise grade data pipelines and storage systems for a growing range of data types from public and private resources, including genomic and clinical data. The Data team provides data as a service to the rest of the organisation, particularly the product development, clinical, innovation and machine learning teams. Day to day you will work with the curators within the Data team, and actively across the other functions to understand their needs. In addition to software development, this role will make a significant contribution to the overall data strategy, covering everything from initial technology scouting through prototyping to final deployment.
Who we are
Congenica is a digital health company developing the gold standard in genomic interpretation platforms for accelerating analysis of rare diseases from genomic data. Simply put, we develop and operate a web-based service to accelerate the interpretation of complex genetic information with the goal of providing life-changing answers for individuals and their families.
Working at Congenica you will make a real impact on the lives of people around the world with rare diseases. Our products and services enable healthcare professionals to accurately, confidently and rapidly analyse complex genomic data and improve health outcomes.
- Development and manage ETL processes and data ingestion.
- Design and implement cutting edge, enterprise grade data systems.
- Support the data requirements of the Architecture, Innovation, Product, Clinical & ML teams.
- Take a lead on technical aspects of the data strategy.
- Help build the Data team and establish its reputation within Congenica.
What qualifications, skills and experience do you need to be successful in this role?
- Degree or higher degree in computer science or a related subject.
- Significant experience of Python development to enterprise standards, including code review, test driven development, version control and automation.
- Expert knowledge of relational databases, SQL and data structures.
- AWS or other cloud experience.
- Strong Linux command line skills
- Motivated to help drive the development of a new function
- Able to deliver under time constraints, clearly prioritising work to achieve goals
- Self-motivated and results-driven, problem-solver
- Friendly, approachable and builds positive personal and organisational relationships
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Enthusiastic, hardworking, well organised and able to prioritise
- Self-driven to learn new skills and knowledge
- Enthusiastic to share knowledge and skills within the team
Great to haves
- PhD or Masters in a relevant subject.
- Experience working with scientific data, particularly genetic/genomic data.
- Experience using R.
- Experience with Kubernetes and container technologies.
- Familiar with agile methodologies.
Congenica is dedicated to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to join a new team and growing company then apply now!