Principal Data Architect
Who we are
Congenica is a digital health company developing the gold standard in genomic interpretation platforms for accelerating analysis of rare diseases from genomic data. Simply put, we develop and operate a web-based service to accelerate the interpretation of complex genetic information with the goal of providing life-changing answers for individuals and their families.
Working at Congenica you will make a real impact on the lives of people around the world with rare diseases. Our products and services enable healthcare professionals to accurately, confidently and rapidly analyse complex genomic data and improve health outcomes.
About the role
As a member of the product development team, you will have extensive experience in Data Architecture, Database Modelling and/or DevOps roles, and be looking to widen and deepen your understanding of databases handling exponentially growing volumes of genomic data.
You will help ensure large volumes of scientific and clinical data are stored appropriately, securely, and are quickly accessible for Congenica’s customers and in house clinical, and innovation teams to gain insights. You’ll be responsible for guiding other engineers, reviewing work and driving development processes and tooling.
What will you be responsible for?
As a Principal Data Architect, your role will include modelling new data storage requirements and data flows and developing & maintaining Relational and NoSQL databases.
Specific Tasks will include, but are not limited to:
- Acting as a bridge between software development and technical operations
- Carrying out investigations on production to understand performance loading
- Carrying out benchmarking and performance engineering to understand system performance
- Communicating performance needs and issues to development
- Ensuring any code developed will give a performant system
- Assisting or coding features in particularly performance critical areas
- Carrying out database maintenance operations as needed
- Ensuring appropriate backup strategy is in place
- Carrying out data restores as necessary
- Managing information flow from production to development or performance test data instances
- Assisting in the design and implementation of logical and physical data model ensuring it will comply with system functional and performance requirements
- Developing automation tools using appropriate languages e.g. Ansible, bash, packer etc
- Writing Standard Operating Procedures and refining and developing standards where necessary
- Implementing database software installations, upgrades, and patches
- Developing and maintaining good working relations with stakeholders and establish effective communication channels
- Pro-actively detect and fix problems
What skills, responsibilities and experience will you need to be successful in the role?
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field or equivalent work experience in a Data Architect / Database Developer / DBA / DevOps role
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of PostgreSQL RDBMS
- Knowledge of Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS),
- Understand RDBMS Concepts such as ACID, Normalisation, Referential Integrity
- Proficient in RDBMS Programming Languages: SQL, PL/pgSQL
- Write and review Python or Perl programs using Object-Relational Mapping packages (e.g DBIx, SQLAlchemy)
- Implement Database Tuning, understand SQL explain plans, column statistics, indexing strategies, and locking models
- Excellent numerical and analytical skills
- Evidence of a systematic, evidence-based approach to database troubleshooting and tuning
- Evidence of well written SQL and PL/PGSQL, Python/Perl ORM code
- Knowledge of Linux/Unix Operating systems and one or more scripting languages (e.g. bash, perl, python).
- Friendly, approachable and builds positive personal and organisational relationships
- Self-motivated and results-driven, problem-solver
- Enthusiastic, hardworking, well organised and able to prioritise
- Able to work with others, and willing to contribute to team
Great to haves
- Relevant professional certifications, e.g.TOGAF, Certified DBA, ITIL Certification
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Perl programming with DBIx
- RDBMS High Data Load technologies: Sharding, Distributed Databases (Postgres-XL, Oracle RAC)
- RDBMS High Availability technologies: Hot Standby, Failover Clusters
- Data indexing and searching (e.g. ElasticSearch / Lucene, Solr, Xapian)
- Understand Data Warehouse concepts; Fact & Dimension tables, ETL
- Knowledge of NoSQL databases (e.g. Redis, Cassandra, Hadoop)
- Ability to develop creative solutions to big data problems
- Proficient in Database Backup and Recovery, Database Monitoring and Management
- Experience of building and maintaining a Data Warehouse
- Working with large compute clusters
- Exposure to cloud services (e.g. AWS)
If this sounds like you and you’d like to join a growing company then apply now!