Oncology Bioinformatician (Europe, UK preferred)
Who we are
Congenica is a digital health company developing the gold standard in genomic interpretation platforms for accelerating analysis of rare diseases from genomic data. Simply put, we develop and operate a web-based service to accelerate the interpretation of complex genetic information with the goal of providing life-changing answers for individuals and their families.
Working at Congenica
You will make a real impact on the lives of people around the world with rare diseases. Our products and services enable healthcare professionals to accurately, confidently and rapidly analyse complex genomic data and improve health outcomes.
We are looking for an Oncology Bioinformatician to join our quickly growing Innovation team and help develop analysis pipelines and tools that will revolutionize the delivery of clinical cancer genetics services. Your software and analyses will be used by clinical oncologists and cancer researchers worldwide, helping make clinical decisions, assign drugs and immunotherapies, and ultimately help find cures and save lives. Finding new ways to help identify cancer mutations and appropriate therapies, and present them clearly, is a key goal of the Innovation team.
- You will be responsible for conceiving, designing and prototyping new cancer genomic data analysis algorithms and pipelines.
- This will include both the incorporation of third-party software tools and writing of novel software to solve problems. Creative solutions for common bioinformatics or clinical problems that improve our product are always encouraged.
- Identification and assessment of high quality cancer data sources, and supporting their incorporation into our product.
- Liaising with the Clinical and Product Teams, customers and external experts to define requirements for development planning.
- Working with our Development team to construct analytical tools and pipelines to exploit the developments at scale.
- Evaluation of new third-party tools and algorithms to ensure they are of the highest standard.
- As a company we engage in collaborative projects with a small but growing number of academic and commercial partners; analysis and processing of collaborator and customer data will be part of this role.
- Produce presentations, write documentation, and white papers as needed by the company.
- Review and maintenance of reference data sets.
Essential attributes candidate must have on entering the role
- Either: Degree in Biological or Medical Science with demonstrable programming skills,
- or: Degree in Computer Science with some postgraduate biology or bioinformatics training.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Good understanding of the biological development of human cancers.
- Understanding of the scope and clinical utility of publicly available cancer informatics databases.
- Programming ability in Python and R, with experience using third-party bioinformatics modules and libraries (e.g. numpy, pysam, Bioconductor).
- Experience with SQL databases including bulk data entry, query, and schema design.
- Knowledge of a variety of NGS data manipulation and variant calling tools, e.g. Mutect2, GATK.
- Experience in the Unix/Linux environment.
- Software development in a team environment.
- Self-motivated and results-driven, problem-solver.
- Friendly, approachable and builds positive personal and organisational relationships.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Enthusiastic, hardworking, well organised and able to prioritise. Self-driven to learn new skills and knowledge.
- Enthusiastic to share knowledge and skills within the team.
- Professional approach and able to produce high standards of work
Desirable attributes candidates may have on entering the role
- Ph.D in relevant discipline.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience of working with clinical data.
- Application of statistical methods to data analysis.
- Version control tools e.g. git.
- Awareness of Agile software development principles.
- Knowledge of other languages such as Perl, Java, C/C++.
- Cloud computing technologies including Docker and Kubernetes.
- Broad knowledge of related bioinformatics resources and databases.
- Analysis of cancer genomic data, e.g. mutational signatures, tumour evolution, or any area with specific application to cancer diagnosis and treatment.
- Software development in an accredited environment.
- NHS experience.
Congenica is dedicated to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
If this sounds like you and you’d like to join a growing company making a difference, then apply now!