Job Title: Development Team Leader (UI)
Location: Hinxton, Cambridge
Reporting Line Manager: Development Manager
Date of Revision: 25th September 2018
Congenica (www.congenica.com) is a world leading developer of genome-based discovery and diagnostic technologies, providing our Sapientia™ clinical decision software platform to UK NHS Regional Genetics Services and clinical, research and commercial customers nationally and internationally. We are also a clinical interpretation partner for the UK100K Genomes Project working with Genomics England.
Congenica’s vision is to be the international leader in data solutions for diagnosing and treating genetic disease. Our ethos is to create the most patient benefit from the advances being made in human genetics, and ensuring the security and ethical use of patient data.
Congenica’s main office is located at the Wellcome Genome Campus, with the Sanger Institute and the EBI. The entire Campus covers an area of 125 acres and provides those working here with a beautiful environment to enjoy. Campus staff and an extensive range of wildlife make the most of the lawns, grasslands, wetlands, orchard, wooded areas and pathways winding their way through it all. Weather permitting, there are a number of outdoor seating and picnic areas to enjoy your lunch or take a few quiet moments.
- We are looking for a Development Team Leader to join our quickly growing organisation and develop the user interface for the Sapientia product. The software developed by your team will be used by clinical geneticists and genetic researchers worldwide; it will help make clinical decisions and provide diagnoses, and ultimately help find cures and save lives.
- You will be responsible for leading an agile team of front-end software engineers creating, developing and improving the user interface to support the complex analysis of genomic data performed by clinical scientists. This may include incorporation of 3rdparty software tools or writing of novel software to solve problems. Creative solutions for common problems that make our software and service better are always encouraged.
- Development of new product features and enhancements, along with maintenance of existing releases, to defined timescales and quality standards.
- Day-to-day supervision of the team, including task allocation and performing design and code reviews.
- Running Scrum events within the team.
- Line management of team members.
- Liaison with the clinical team and product management to help define product requirements.
- Liaison with customer support to help deal with customer issues using the software.
- The role will involve remote management of a team of outsourced software engineers also contributing to the UI development..
Terms & Conditions
Start Date: N/A
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Salary: £ negotiable (depending on skills & experience)
Type of Contract: Permanent
- 25 days of annual holiday, increasing by one day per year to a maximum of 30 days
- Performance related incentive scheme up to 15% of annual salary, split 50/50 between achieving Corporate Objectives and Personal Objectives
- Pension through Royal London with 6% company match
- Optional private healthcare coverage through AXA PPP, with the ability to add family members. The company pays the annual premium for the employee, but the employee is responsible for the full cost additional family members
- Income protection benefits Life insurance at 4 times salary (lump sum payment)
- Subsidised gym membership on site at the Sanger Institute
- Free parking
- Flexible working schedule (ability to work from home as needed)
- Perkbox, online benefits and wellness platform
- Employee receives their birthday off each year
Attributes candidates must have on entering the role
Attributes already held or to be developed to perform the role
|Degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline.|
|Knowledge, skills and abilities
Knowledge of user interface design and associated factors including usability, accessibility and internationalisation
Understanding of RESTful APIs
Version control tools such as Git
Issue tracking systems such as Jira
Content sharing systems such as Confluence and Sharepoint.
|Knowledge of a variety of other languages, eg Python, Perl, C/C++
Bioinformatics or biology background, knowledge of genomics
|Experience of enterprise-level software product development in a commercial environment
Leading agile software development teams
Practical experience of using Scrum
Software development in an accredited environment.
|Experience of product development within the medical industry
Experience of working with clinical data.
|Behavioural Qualities||Friendly, approachable and builds positive personal and organisational relationships
Self-motivated and results-driven, problem-solver
Enthusiastic, hardworking, well organised and able to prioritise
Able to work with others, and willing to contribute to team
Professional appearance and able to produce high standards of work.
Please note that this job description is current as at the date shown above. In consultation with you, it is liable to change to reflect changes in the job
If you would like to apply for this role, please send you CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org